RAAF A17-4. The Tiger Moth first flew in 1931 and was one of a long line of successful De Havilland bi-planes. It was the basic trainer for the British Commonwealth Air Forces in World War II and as war surplus, they were used by aero clubs for flying training for many years afterwards. There are still many examples flying around the world today.
This aircraft was built in Australia in 1939 for the RAAF and served with 22 Squadron and No’s 2 and 5 Elementary Flying Training Schools where it survived a few mishaps. After the war it was sold to the Royal Aero Club of South Australia for 100 pounds.
Stan (Bones) Phillips bought and restored the aircraft in 1981 and flew it around Darwin for many years. In 1998 the aircraft, which is still in airworthy condition, was purchased by the Aviation Historical Society, through a Grant provided by the Northern Territory Government, for display at the Aviation Heritage Centre.
For more technical detail, see Wikipedia.