GREAT BRITAIN Gas Turbine ,1960s
The power plant for our Wessex helicopter supplied by the Royal Australian Navy when the helicopter was completely refurbished for this museum.
The engine is a 400hp (1000Kw) gas turbine.
The rotor drive is direct coupled to the turbine through a gearbox at the top of the unit. The wheels at the top of the motor are the guides for installation.
The original Wessex helicopters came equipped with a large radial engine similar to the 1340 engine but were replaced by gas turbines, thus reducing weight and increasing power.
For more technical information on the Napier Gazelle Engine, see Wikipedia.